Elisha Z. Bwanika
Daily Monitor and NBS TV’s Darren Allan Kyeyune was the biggest winner at the third edition of the annual Sports Journalist Choice Awards.
Kyeyune defeated Dan Web Sebakijje and David Isabirye to scoop the highly coveted Sports Journalist of the Year Award for a second year in a row. He was also named Sports Social Media Journalist of the Year at the awards ceremony aimed at recognising the efforts of sports scribes during the past year.
The highlight of the glamorous night at Route 256 was the crowing of Grace Mbabazi as the first Female Journalist of the year. This was her first win in three attempts.
“All the previous times I was up against men. I am glad that I have won today,” she said after receiving a 32 inch television set from betting house Bungabet.
This particular category was included into the awards this year, because, according to organising head Leon Ssenyange, there was less involvement by females in sports.
“But most of all it was to encourage more females to join sports journalism,” he said.
The winners in different categories:
- Best Young Sports Journalist of the Year – Makhtum Muziransa (Daily Monitor)
- Break through Sports Journalist of the Year – Rose Nakyeyune (Top TV)
- Regional Sports Journalist of the Year – Javier Silas Omagor (Step Radio) Mbale.
- Sports Social Media Journalist – Allan Darren Kyeyune (Daily monitor / NBS)
- Edward Galiwango Sports Photograph of the year – Fred Kisekka (Bukedde)
- Sports News Report – Amon Ngabo (UBC)
- Sports Feature of the Year – Abdulnasser Ssemugabi (Daily Monitor)
- Sports Website – Kawowo
- Female Sports Reporter of the Year – Grace Mbabazi (NBS TV)
- Sports Journalists of the Year – Allan Darren Kyeyune (Daily monitor / NBS TV).
All nominees walked away with gift hampers from sponsors as well as cash, certificates and plaques, while guest of honour William Blick offered Shs100,000 to each of the 10 winners.
The awards attracted sponsors like Pepsi, Guinness, Media Vision Film Academy, DSTV, Uganda lodges, Bunga Bet and Post Bank.
Do you have a story in your community or an opinion to share with us: Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org