As young people, let each one of us make the following promise of awareness, self-confidence, and self-esteem to make our relationship fruitful, meaningful and fulfilling.
I will engage in sex only…
1. When I am aware of all the changes that can come about in my body, including infections and all other sexually transmitted diseases. And when I have tested myself medically and shared concerns with my partner.
2. When I feel I am mature enough to give myself willingly, joyfully and totally to the person I love and cherish. Because I know that having sex is more than merely having a physical act.
3. When I am confident that my partner loves me, cares for me and will stand by me beyond our physical and sexual attraction. When I have known that I have matured in loving relationship that can last forever.
4. When I can honestly make decision to have sex because I HAVE KNOWN all the consequences and I am ready to face them. I am NOT doing it to fit in or feel pressured to do it. I AM in control of this situation rather than the situation controls me.
5. When I am confident that my commitment to the other person will help us to grow and mature emotionally, socially and spiritually.
6. When I have fulfilled my family, social, cultural and religious obligations that have implications for me, for my partner and for the children we will bring forth.
7. When I am ready to take responsibility for my actions and I am confident in caring for the child I am bringing into this world.
8. When I am willing to put my future goals on the side to support my partner and our child.
9. When I am ready to make short and long-term goals for the new family and be willing to sacrifice myself to achieve the goals that I have made with my partner.
10. When I can talk openly and honestly with my partner my past history and my future plans for our lives.
11. When I am honestly able to say that I am not in lust with this person but that I truly do love the person and we feel that same about each other.
12. When I have learnt to resolve conflicts in mature way and be able to accommodate each other in good and bad times.
Do you have a story in your community or an opinion to share with us: Email us at email@example.com