- Currently, many young couples find themselves in a sea of uncertainty when it comes to tying the knot. Between a pull for independence, an abundance of choices, and a changing definition of marriage, there is no doubt that millennials are facing a whole new set of uncertainties about what “happily ever after” should be like.
We know that this generation is waiting longer to get married, which begs the question: Why do millennials have such a problem with commitment?
Here are five reasons why young couples are taking long to get married:
1. You are in a relationship that brings you down or you are often dissatisfied with it. Ask yourself: Does your significant other inspire you to do your best? Perhaps he or she is overly critical or too focused on his or her needs to be supportive of you.
2. You feel you have to change yourself –- your values, goals, or dreams — for your partner to accept you. Since your partner is unwilling to compromise, you morph into someone else to accommodate their needs and subsequently lose vital parts of your identity.
3. You want to take your time to pick a partner who shares similar values and interests. This will enhance your chances of staying together.
4.You have a healthy respect for commitment and just haven’t met someone you want to make a permanent commitment with. Avoiding marriage before your late 20s and dating a partner for at least two years will reduce your risk of divorce.
5. You’re content being with a girlfriend/boyfriend and don’t have a compelling reason to tie the knot.
Do you have a story in your community or an opinion to share with us: Click the link to Submit a Post or email us at email@example.com