Mwebesa Godwin, a 30-year-old a resident of Rugaga village, Kayonza Parish, Kikatsi sub-county in Kiruhuura District has died, following an explosion of his cellphone.
According to Fred Enanga, the Police spokesman, the incident occurred on Tuesday when Mwebesa’s cell phone came in contact with his motorcycle’s engine cylinder head which was too hot.
“The victim rode his motorcycle reg. no. UED955T, Bajaj red in colour, to check on his cows. Upon arrival at his farm, he bent forward to check on himself in the side mirror. However, his phone which was being held in the right hand touched the cylinder head of the motorcycle engine, which was still hot. It triggered an explosion that shattered the victims hand and stomach thus forcing his intestines out. He died instantly,” explained Enanga.
He added that the explosion was confirmed when the security teams from Rwizi Region and Kiruhura district, that comprised of a Bomb Expert, responded to the scene and confirmed how the mobile phone exploded after it came into contact with an overheated engine.
Following this incident Police cautioned the public to always take care while using any gadget that uses batteries.
“Although incidents of mobile phones exploding are uncommon, we would like to caution the public when dealing with any connected gadgets like cell phones, laptops and remote controls. Simply because blasts can easily occur from any connected device, with a battery. This can arise due to overcharging, manufacturing defect, a faulty battery, a processor that is not functioning properly or due to heat generated from another object or combustible substance,” said Enanga.
Police cautioned to always ensure that all connected devices are kept away from other combustibles including gas and to avoid leaving phone devices plugged in power for extended periods.
Do you have a story in your community or an opinion to share with us: Click the link to Submit a Post or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org