Ugandans on Twitter have reacted with dismay at news that hospital beds from one facility had been borrowed to be shown to Members of Parliament at another.
Last week, a social media user posted photos of newly born babies being treated on plastic chairs because Kawempe General Hospital lacked adequate beds in the nursery to accommodate them.
The pictures have since gone viral, forcing Members of Parliament to organise a trip to the facility, also known as Kawempe Specialised National Referral Hospital on Monday to ascertain patient’s conditions.
However, in order to please the legislators, Ministry of Health borrowed a couple of beds from Komamboga Health Center III in Kawempe Division.
The move forced medics at the KCCA run facility to strike leaving hundreds of patients stranded.
The public outcry on social media followed a post by journalist Simon Kagwa Njala who tweeted: ‘Stalemate at Komamboga Health Center. Medics are on strike after the beds in there were picked and taken to Mulago Hospital Kawempe ahead of the @Parliament_Ug MPs visit today. The visit was prompted by the viral pictures of stranded babies. Patients are stranded.”
- Below are some reactions:
- Bobi Elly: So ministers for health and appointed by @KagutaMuseveni went to Komamboga health center medics and picked up all the beds in thre to take them to @JanetMusevenis kirudu hospital in kawempe to pretend that the hospital is in a good state on @Parliament_Ug visit.
- Vycnt S. Kaks Jr.: As @mmpuuga says, these things are done in a way that will make you think that the @GovUganda is working from #exile. Let’s just be fair, how can a government do this just to please @Parliament_Ug over people’s health. Like seriously.
- Ayne @_joses_aine: I want y’all to take time off your busy schedules and just imagine not being Ugandan. This country is a full package
- Tuwayenga Brian @tuwayenga: That’s just a Sneak peek of the situation of our hospitals across the country and the status quo has been maintained because of the care free attitude and rapacious character of those who ought to allocate resources at the expense of the plight of Ugandans
- Pierro @pmugwanya66: We really need to know the mafias in charge of writing out the scripts for these movies…kubanga!
- LIverpudian @KElasto: All we need is God’s intervention,otherwise the boat is on its final sinking minutes….change is coming.
- O.INNOCENT @OINNOCENT1: Imagine if Lubowa specialized hospital money has been put in such things?
Do you have a story in your community or an opinion to share with us: Email us at email@example.com