Cabinet has approved the release of Shs40 billion from the Contingencies Fund for emergency procurement of relief food to cater for over 3,500,000 people at the verge of starvation in Karamoja sub region.
Since 2016, famine has been a major challenge in Karamoja, with many people and animals dying of hunger.
Last year, Members of Parliament from this region asked the House to summon the Minister for Disaster Preparedness and Refugee Affairs, Hillary Onek to explain why government has not catered for people dying of famine in their area.
Onek, while responding to Parliament said government received a comprehensive report on famine, and was in the process of sourcing for funds to buy relief food.
On Monday, Cabinet met at State House Entebbe, and agreed to pass the funds.
According to government spokesman Ofwono Opondo, famine in Karamoja is due to prolonged drought which has not favoured any crop germination.
“Famine has forced the Karamojong to migrate to other districts in search of food and pasture for their animals,” Ofwono told journalists at the Media Centre on Tuesday. Most affected areas include; Karamoja, Teso, Bukedi, parts of Busoga and Acholi and the large section of the cattle corridor.
Ofwono also added that Cabinet had catered for pending funds to complete the renovation of Mulago National Referral Hospital.
“The Cabinet also noted the ongoing renovation and upgrade of Mulago National Referral Hospital and authorized additional funding of Shs35.8bn for the project to be completed,” he said.
Do you have a story in your community or an opinion to share with us: Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org