Makerere University Vice Chancellor Prof Barnabas Nawangwe has said despite the ongoing students’ protests against tuition increment, they will not extend the semester.
Since last week, the students have been protesting against the 15 per cent tuition increment. They demand that it should be scrapped on grounds that it is unfair to privately sponsored students.
In a statement issued on Thursday, Prof Nawangwe said despite the isolated demos and riots, most of the University activities continued normally although the rioters managed to disrupt a few classes.
He also revealed that the situation on campus is gradually normalising.
“Management calls upon all students and staff to resume classes immediately. Security for those carrying on with their duties will be provided. Examinations will commence as planned on 18th November 2019 and there will be no extension to the Semester,” Prof Nawangwe’s statement reads in part shared on Makerere university social media platforms.
Do you have a story in your community or an opinion to share with us: Email us at email@example.com