By Peter Tabu
Nominations for the third edition of the Uganda Sports Journalists Choice Awards (SJCA) are open.
The aim of the Awards is acknowledge and recognise the work of Ugandan sports journalists who excel in reporting sport across print, digital, television and audio mediums as well as photography and are based in Uganda. Entries closed on November 30 and all that is left is the judging and unveiling of the winners.
At least 10 awards are up for grabs but entries for seven categories opened on Thursday, November 1 and will close on Friday, November 30.
The awards ceremony will be held on Tuesday, December 11.
According to Leon Ssenyange, the chairman of the organizing committee, this year, a new category of Female Sports Reporter of the Year has been added.
“Also going forward, as a tribute to a colleague that passed away this year, the sports photography award shall be renamed the Edward Galiwango Sports Photograph of the Year Award,” he said in a statement.
Entrants can submit their work via a dedicated online portal.
Daily Monitor’s Darren Kyeyune reigned supreme last year, scooping three awards – Young Sports Journalist of the Year, Social Media Journalist of the Year and Journalist of the Year.
The Regional Sports Journalist of the Year award went to Mbale’s Javier Omaball while John Batanudde was recognised as Photographer of the Year.
The 2018 Sports Journalists Choice Awards (SJCA) categories are;
- Young Sports Journalist of the Year
- Breakthrough Journalist of the Year
- Regional Sports Journalist of the Year
- Sports Social Media Journalist of the Year
- Edward Galiwango Sports Photograph of the Year
- Sports News Report – Broadcast (Radio or Television)
- Sports Feature of the Year (TV, Radio, Print or Online)
- Sports Website of the Year
- Female Sports Reporter of the Year
- Sports Journalist of the Year
Do you have a story in your community or an opinion to share with us: Email us at email@example.com