No one really knew Daniel Kaluuya – at least not with the magnitude he may have wished for – before Hollywood’s surprise blockbuster Get Out came out. The actor has previously appeared in movies like Sicario (2015) and Black Mirror (2011) and TV shows like Skins. But it’s his role in Jordan Peele’s horror-comedy, Get Out, that really “took his name out there”.
In Get Out, Kaluuya plays Chris Washington, an African American man who finds himself in a terrifying situation when he visits his white girlfriend’s parents’ estate.
Here are some interesting facts about the actor:
- He was born in Britain but his parents are from Uganda.
- In 2013, he sued London’s Metropolitan Police for racially profiling him as a suspect during an arrest.
- WhenGet Outwas released, amid its enormous success, Kaluuya had to defend himself against criticism from actor Samuel L Jackson who questioned the casting of a black British actor in a role that should have been given to a black American. Kaluuya has since responded saying, “I resent that I have to prove I am black.”
- He is part of the all-black cast of Marvel’s superhero movieBlack Panther(2018) alongside Lupita Nyong’o, Danai Gurira, Michael B Jordan, Angela Basset, Chadwick Boseman and Florence Kasumba (another actress of Ugandan origin), among others.
- He wrote his first play when he was only nine years old and won a competition for it at school.
Do you have a story in your community or an opinion to share with us: Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org