The family of Ronald Ssebulime has described the move by the Director of Public Prosecution to withdraw murder charges against Information, Communication and Technology state minister Idah Erios Nantaba as ‘sad’.
Nantaba together with police constables Ronald Opira, Ronald Baganza and Edward Cherotich had been summoned by the Mukono chief magistrate Juliet Hatanga to answer charges of the murder of Ronald Ssebulime on March 24, 2019.
He was on his way to visit his children at school.
According to accounts by several witnesses, Ssebulime was killed at close range by a policeman after Nantaba accused him of trailing her on a motorcycle with intentions of harming her.
Police then admitted that Ssebulime was wrongfully killed.
“After a few warning shots in the air, the suspect stopped and surrendered to the police, who arrested and led him to the police vehicle. It is true that the deceased was removed from the police pickup and instantly shot dead by our officer,” Enanga said in March.
Despite repeated summons to have Nantaba record a statement at police, the minister has vehemently refused, claiming President Museveni had asked her to stay put.
She has since sought refuge in Canada.
On Monday, the Director of Public Prosecutions wrote to the Mukono chief magistrate informing the court of withdrawal the charge of murder.
“This is to inform court that the Director of Prosecutions has decided to discontinue proceedings against Idah Erios Nantaba Ronald Opira, Ronald Baganza and Edward Cherotich charged with murder,” reads in part the withdraw form singed by Justice Mike Chibita.
Later on, Sebulime’s family, through their lawyer Muwada Nkunyingi has said they are saddened by the action.
“As we explore alternative legal and judicial remedies, the family jointly with the complainant will express their take on the matter,”Nkunyingi of Muwada and Company Advocates said in a statement.
Do you have a story in your community or an opinion to share with us: Email us at email@example.com