The 24 suspects who were arrested last year from Kambuye in Mubende municipality have gone missing from Kaweri Government Prison.
Their disappearance has attracted legal and Civil Society experts to mount a search for them.
Grace Nantubiro the Busaale Ward Councilor and Robert Mugwabya of Kansera Ward together with other 24 suspects were to appear before Mubende High Court for their bail application, but by Tuesday morning they had been transferred from the facility to unknown place.
The suspects were arrested in scuffle that ensued at Kambuye Land where over 1,500 people were evicted by security guards on George Kaweesi’s orders, in which one person was killed and properties destroyed.
Geoffrey Wokulira Ssebaggala, the Executive Director of Witnessradio.org and Counsel Ssaazi Marvin Kiiza said they had arranged the meeting with Mubende Prison Commander Bukenya John to meet and finalize with the paperwork so that the suspects are taken to court but the DPC disappeared and the suspect are nowhere to seen.
Mr Ssebaggala said they have opted to seek assistance in courts of law in which they sued the Attorney General, the Mubende Prisons Commander, the Police Commander Martin Okoyo and Kaweesi who claims ownership of land in Kambuye.
Counsel Ssaazi said the transfer of the suspects was illegal and they want court to determine on the matter, and the District Police Commander has to take individual responsibility.
Do you have a story in your community or an opinion to share with us: Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org