A section of Kabale district councilors have signed a petition to have the LC5 chairperson, Patrick Besigye Keihwa censured. The councilors on Monday raised 12 reasons in support of their decision.
Below is their full petition word by word;
PETITION TO CENSURE THE KABALE DISTRICT CHAIRMAN –BESIGYE PATRICK KEIHWA.
We the undersigned; being members of the Kabale district council;
And with reference to section 14(1),(a),(b),(c),(d) and (g) of Local Government Act (2015) a amended ,determine to remove the said Besigye Patrick Keihwa from the office of the Local Council Five Chairman ; on the following grounds.
(1) Incompetence sighted in his failure to respond to the District human resource queries band mis-management of the process of recruitment of employees for the district. There is evidence of the irregularities in the recruitment of staff by the District Service Commission, a matter he has not bothered to explain since last year 2018. The situation is not helped by the uncalled –for recruitment for a whole lot of office attendants and other staff since January 2018 to date; absorbed illegally.
(2) High tendency of corruption much so conducted during Eng. Kigganda administration that caused government huge losses, where no roads and capital projects made, but sums of money were paid out. To this effect, council demanded the District Public Accounts Committee intervention whose extract from the report; Besigye Keihwa shamelessly, wanted to own. Thank you madam speaker, you ruled him out after the council refused the said Keihwa to present the Public Accounts Committee audit report because members realized that, it was compromised with a lot of falsehoods. Until today, 2 council sessions have so far elapsed with no response from him.
(3) Misuse of government property witnessed by the consistent use of non Government drivers to drive the district vehicles especially a brand new pick up attached to the office of the LC5 chairman that is usually driven by Non designate drivers which contravenes the Standing Orders. Besides, the said pick up is used to ferry seedlings, workers to various gardens around the district which is gross management of government property.
(4) Sidelining Government employees as the chairman is said to directly involve in determining which work offices have to do as means of creating ways surrounding money. For example, supervisor Eng. Katarikawe who for the last 7 years has been made redundant. Falsely, he was accused of graft charges but he won the case and now the council has to pay up to a tune od Shs 100m on the negligence of the chairman and direct involvements in his office.
(5) Soliciting bribes like the construction of the washrooms at the chairman and CAO’s offices that the contractor one GESES ltd had not planned to willingly construct. There is no evidence of minutes of the contracts and procurement committees on the said project. This was done in line of other projects like construction of Kakomo Health Center IV among others.
(6) Unnecessary litigation of Kabale district council with several individuals in the community in which Kabale District has miserably and painfully lost cases with heavy fines and penalties to pay. For example the case with Eng., Hillary of Butanda in which the chairman deliberately and stubbornly refused to mediate with the litigants in which he is accountable as the local leader.
(7) The passing of the supplementary budget at the council held on 30/5/2019 in which he has no breakdown of the unfunded priorities, has been made worse because the purpose for the supplementary budget was to include the allowances for the new 6 councilors elected in July 2018; however these were not considered under the same budget. This therefore is an indication that there is a plan to misuse the money.
(8) Conflict of interest clearly exhibited by the District Chairman signing for 15 bags of Irish potato seeds when the Operation Wealth Creation officers intended them for the poor local beneficiaries as he took it under the guise that, the seeds were going to be distributed amongst the district council members. This utmost corruption that the said person should not be in the office of the district chairman.
(9) Inappropriate utilization of District road equipment and machinery on private roads not earning income to the District at all. Unfortunately, all Road Gangs have not been paid and as such they have stopped working, an area the District Chairman ha completely failed to deliver on.
(10) Denying the District income by deliberately refusing to pay rental fees for the District house in which he resides, yet poor civil servants’ little salary is being deducted monthly.
(11) Selling of Public land for personal gain. It is clear knowledge that, part of the land on which he dwells with the servants quarters was sold out.
(12) Failure to implement council resolutions like the irrational Self seeking careless decisions where Mr. Besigye on 13th June 2019 after Head teachers’’ of recipient schools of iron sheets provided by the District council to respective schools were denied the iron sheets because the said Besigye wants to use them for his political gain to ONLY schools of his choice. Worst still, Head teachers incurred transport costs to felly iron sheets that were never taken.
Madam speaker, owing to the above therefore, we pray that you institute a council in which we shall table a motion and henceforth censure the Chairman for his failure to perform his function and responsibilities as political head; as well as causing financial loss to government and abuse of office.
DISTRICT COUNCIL COUNCILORS THAT SIGNED THE PETITION.
1-Twinamasiko Elson, Maziba sub county councilor.
2-annet Kabagambe, Buhara Sub county Woman councilor
3-mwesigwa Nicholas, Katuna town council councilor
4-Kenansi Evas Mugabi, Northern AND southern division councilor
5-March Boaz- Ryakarimira Town council councilor
6-Musiiment Florence, workers representative councilor
7-Turyakira Christine, Kitumba sub county woman councilor
8-Ahimbisibwe Margret, Rubaya sub county woman councilor
10-Teo Mugumya AND Q21
Do you have a story in your community or an opinion to share with us: Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org