Rwanda’s Foreign Affairs Minister Richard Sezibera is undergoing treatment at a top Nairobi hospital, sources within the government have said.
According to Jeune Afrique, Dr Sezibera is ‘currently recovering’.
Speculation about the whereabouts of Dr Sezibera has been rife since late July.
His last public engagement was on July 11 in London at a international media conference hosted by the UK Foreign Office and Canadian Government.
Since then, all guests of Rwanda’s foreign ministry, who would otherwise be hosted by Dr Sezibera, have been meeting with State Minister in charge of East African Affairs, Olivier Nduhungirehe.
Last week, government of Uganda spokesman Ofwono Opondo posted a link on Twitter of a news article titled: “Rwandan Foreign Minister Dr Richard Sezibera Admitted in Critical Conditions after Poisoning”.
Then Nduhungirehe responded with “Here is [Ofwono Opondo], Spokesperson of the Government of Uganda, endorsing vicious Fake News from a tabloid owned by the Chieftaincy of Military Intelligence. Despicable!”
Jeune Afrique, quoting unnamed Rwandan officials, says Dr Sezibera’s “health condition is not worrying”.
However, no other details are provided.